Every year, during the last full week of September, Canada and its' residents celebrate National Forest Week. The celebration was originally dubbed forest prevention week but underwent a name change in the 1960's. According to Canada's Prime Minister, "National Forest Week is a celebration of our forests and trees and their importance to the quality of life in cities, towns and villages across Canada."
Throughout the week, a variety of events are being held throughout the nation. The Canadian forestry website suggests ways for everyone, not just forestry enthusiasts or professionals, to get involved:
- Arrange a tree planting: www.treecanada.ca
- Take a walk in woods nearby and get to know your forest
- Care for a newly planted or neglected tree, and study its species
- Identify all the things at home or school that are made of wood
- Learn about organizations that demonstrate sustainable forest management
- Tour a forest sector industry or processing site
- Learn about the prevention of forest fires
- Contact a provincial forestry association for teaching materials
This year's theme is "Sunrise in the Forest," with one sub theme being "Wake up to a career in the forest sector where bright minds make the future brilliant!"
Laser Technology, Inc., supports forestry professionals by providing revolutionary tools that save time and money, ultimately making forestry work more enjoyable and manageable. A touch of a button turns measuring tree heights and monitoring slope grade into simple tasks. For more information about the TruPulse Laser Rangefinder series, the Criterion RD 1000 or other laser measurement tools, and visit our forestry page then call 1-877-696-2584 to set up a free product trial.